I Swing the Vorpal Spork of Irony like some Hyperborean Usurper through the Hordes of the Unwashed.



Thursday, August 5, 2010

Dungeon Master's Token Set: the Review

Anyone who's played 4th Ed. Dungeons and Dragons knows that there are a lot of things to keep track of.  Stunned, Slowed, Bloodied, Weakened, and Grabbed to name a few.  I've seen some odd things used to keep track of the combat stuff.  I myself have used multicolored soda bottle rings, hair-ties, rubber bands and labeled Poker Chips. These methods, while quasi-effective, still leave something to be desired in the cool department. Enter the DM's Token Set from Gale Force Nine.
In the interest of full disclosure, I received this as a gift for DM Appreciation Month (my favorite made up holiday).  The MSRP is $30, BTW, and I probably would have paid that had not my players beat me to it.  For that price you get an awesome box with a felt lined lid for dice rolling.  There are 21 condition tokens, 5 bloodied tokens, and 18 status scrolls you can write on with a dry erase.  These "scales" are made to fit against the base of the D&D plastic minis, so if you use something else it may not be as good.  They are a little small for my taste, but I'm old and can't see as well as I used to.  It doesn't come with a marker which I thought was a little odd,  and the tokens are a little hard to pick up with my chubby arthritic fingers. It does have plenty of room for pencils and dice etc.  Overall I would give it a 9 out of 10.  I'm betting that I will have it sitting beside my DM Screen for a long time to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. Please watch the language.